Friday, June 11, 2004

Alien Veggie Experiment


Grocery shopping is not something I normally do, but today I accompanied my spouse, a master grocery shopper, to pick up a few things. While at the vegetable display, I spotted some strange looking vegetable matter. It was hard trying to determine which store descriptions matched the actual vegetable, but eventually I found that the most disgusting veggie in the group was kohlrabi. Shaped like a turnip, it has pale limbs growing out of its middle. These limbs then became leaves at the top. It looks almost alien. Since I've always considered myself well versed in most food matters, (God knows enough of it has crossed my lips) I was ashamed to admit I didn't know kohlrabi from Napa cabbage or rutabaga from parsnips. I do love veggies, but today was a revelation--I've actually lead a safe veggie life until now. Suddenly I was struck with the idea to buy and prepare a new vegetable each week until I had run through the total display. Really live it up! When I got home, I located a book that had been around the house for years, and decided that kohlrabi would be the veggie of the week for us. I started out with the ugliest one first--that way, we'll be more likely to stick with this plan as the prettiness quotient goes up. Kohlrabi supposedly has a taste that is a cross between a radish and a cucumber, which really doesn't sound bad at all. Now we're all excited with the idea of having a dish of "Braised Kohlrabi with Tarragon" this weekend. The recipe calls for fresh tarragon. Now where in the hell will I find that?

No comments: