Sunday, July 04, 2004

Tempus Fugit


Instead of getting out and celebrating the July 4th holiday in some interesting way, I chose to stay in and do research for an upcoming writing project. As I waded through 35 years of papers, newsletters and other data related to my former workplace, I came across many names and situations that had not crossed my mind in years. I was genuinely surprised at all the people and situations that I had completely forgotten about. As I looked at photos and news articles, I fondly remembered my friends and acquaintances as they had been so many years ago. We were all young and strong and had fire in our bellies and we were going to make a difference. We were going to change the world, or at least our workplace. Some did, and some just plugged along. Others lost their way and found themselves sometime later down the road, others never did. And some died. As I sorted through those remnants of the past, I was reminded of a poem written by Ogden Nash:

The Middle
When I remember by-gone days,
I think how evening follows morn.
So many I loved were not yet dead
So many I love were not yet born.

No comments: